I had a SEO experience this week that went better than expected.

The issue was that the original blog post I wrote about TinyPilot (on my personal blog) was often the top result when users Google "tinypilot"

But I wanted visitors to go directly to the TinyPilot website.

Last Thursday, I migrated the blog post over to the TinyPilot site. I set the rel="canonical" tag on the version to point to the version.

I Googled "tinypilot" today, and it worked! Google only shows the migrated version.

This is not super magical, but my experience with SEO is that results always take months and multiple tries, and you never know why it finally worked. It was nice to have something in SEO just work the way I expected the first time I try.

Sign in to participate in the conversation
Michael Lynch's Mastodon

Michael Lynch's personal Mastodon instance